Support for carers

In England, millions of people provide unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, either in their own home or somewhere else.

‘Caring’ for someone covers lots of different things, like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to regular appointments or keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious.

If this sounds like you, from April 2015, changes to the way care and support is provided in England mean you may be able to get more help so that you can carry on caring and look after your own wellbeing.

You may contact us on 0300 123 6725 to find out what support is available to you.

Please check the Department of Health's guidance for more information including:

  • How a carer's assessment may help you
  • What will be considered during the assessment
  • Whether you can have a carer's assessment if the person you care for does not currently get help from the council
  • Whether all family members/friends who share providing care to their relative/friend can have a carer’s assessment
  • Whether the support you may be offered could be affected if you share providing care with other family members/friends and you disagree about who provides the most
  • Whether you could be offered support as a carer if the person you are caring for will not agree to a needs assessment