A little bit of help

Outcome of the public consultation on the Integrated Home Improvement Service

On 13 June, Cabinet agreed proposals to cease funding the Integrated Home Improvement Services – also known as Care and Repair services.

On 26 June, the Health Scrutiny Committee resolved not to ask Cabinet to reconsider its decision after receiving a formal request from a number of councillors. This means that the decision will now be implemented.

Cabinet agreed to:

  • Cease the Integrated Home Improvement Service by 31 March 2020
  • Run a procurement exercise to find a new provider or providers to deliver the minor adaptations scheme
  • Support developing new approaches using some of the one off investment funding of £0.5million agreed by Cabinet to help to manage these changes.

We will continue to provide the minor adaptations part of the service. This provides practical help to people who want to make adaptations to their home up to the value of £1,000 if they are eligible under social care legislation. Work such as installing handrails and ramps for people with mobility issues can be carried out under this scheme.

We also still provide the Lancashire Safe Trader scheme, which makes it easier for people to find a trusted tradesperson to carry out work around their home.

For more information view the report to Cabinet 13 June 2019.

After a major change in your life or a general deterioration of some of your abilities you may need a little bit of help to manage at home. This could be with getting around, cleaning, preparing meals, DIY and gardening or maintaining your social life. We can offer practical support, information and advice to help you live the life you want.

Help with everyday tasks

Having some simple equipment could make your everyday life simpler.


For help with meals you could have meals delivered directly to your home by one of the local meals on wheels suppliers or you may want to find a local lunch club.

Maintaining your home

If you want help maintaining your home you could contact a home improvement agency which offers a range of services to help you maintain, improve or adapt your home. For example:

  • general maintenance
  • repairs
  • major and minor adaptations
  • efficient heating systems

You can find home care and maintenance services in our online service directory and also in our website dedicated to finding you reliable trades people (external link).

Finding out what's going on in your community

1 in 10 of us would like more people in our lives. You may have found yourself on your own after a partner passed away, had an illness or accident which has affected your ability to maintain your social life. Our online service directory provides information about where you can meet people including:

  • social or leisure activities
  • lunch clubs
  • further and adult education
  • volunteering

If you want more information and advice about getting a little bit of help please contact our advice and information line on 0300 123 6701.

If you think you, a family member or friend needs adult social care support please see 'getting our support' information.