Voter ID

Voter ID for elections

Voters will need to show an accepted form of photographic identification (photo ID) to vote at a polling station.

Photo ID required

Most people will already have ID.  The list of ID is here:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Photo Driving Licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
  • A Blue Badge
  • Older Person's Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state

You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original version and not a photocopy.

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

For more information on what types of ID are accepted visit the Electoral Commission - Accepted forms of photo ID.

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate

If you don't have any of the photo ID listed above, you will need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate.

You will need to provide other documents to confirm your identity. You will be able to apply online or complete a paper form.

Full details on how to apply is now available on Electoral Commission - Voter ID.