Coronavirus: Childcare (including nurseries, pre-schools and childminders)

(Updated 1 April 2020)

Lancashire County Council maintained nurseries and classes closed Monday 23 March with some remaining open for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers to the Covid-19 response. These services are being delivered by staff who are neither ill or self-isolating. Please contact your local provider if you think you might be a critical worker, the full list is available at GOV.UK . If you pay for all or part of your out of school or nursery fees, you will be refunded the last 2 weeks of the spring term fees in your next invoice when the school reopens. You will not be expected to pay whilst the school is closed.

If your child attends a private nursery or childminder, you will need to check with them directly on their opening arrangements. The government is continuing to pay for funded childcare entitlements but if you pay for all or part of your childcare, you will need to check your contract with your provider to establish if you need to pay whilst they are closed.

Finding childcare

If you are a parent of a vulnerable child or you are a critical worker and your childcare provider is closing or has closed they should have been able to assist you in finding an alternative childcare place.

If however you have been unable to find an alternative place please contact the Family Information Service, by completing and sending the childcare brokerage service request form (DOCX 362 KB) to including the words 'urgent childcare brokerage required' in the title.

We will then search the childcare provision available in your local area and help you to arrange an alternative place. If you are entitled to funded childcare, any unused hours you have remaining in the term can be transferred across to the new childcare provider so you won't lose any of your funding.

If your child is of school age please do not complete this form.

School age children

Schools have been asked to remain open for children who are vulnerable and for those children of key workers critical to the COVID-19 response who absolutely need to attend. If you require a school place, please contact your child's school first, as they are responsible for providing a place either on site or in partnership with another local school.

If your child's school has been forced to close and they are unable to identify an alternative school, please contact your local school admissions team on the numbers below. The County Council has a list of all the schools that remain open and we will contact the nearest school to your home address, on your behalf, to find a place.

Lancaster, Wyre and Fylde: 01524 586417 or 01524 581134
Preston, South Ribble, Chorley and West Lancashire: 01772 531797 or 01772 531859
Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale: 01254 220707 or 01254 220722
Central: 01772 531878