Educational psychologists

Psychology helps us to understand how the human mind works and how it affects the way people behave. Educational psychologists use psychology to help children and young people to do well in their learning and development and achieve the best possible outcomes by supporting:

  • the development of skills needed for learning
  • social well-being
  • positive mental health

Our team of educational psychologists work mainly with children and young people aged 0-25 who have special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).

The majority of children and young people with SEND will have their needs met through resources already available to their school. However, sometimes an educational psychologist may be asked to help.

Most of the time our educational psychologists use an approach known as consultation. This means they will discuss any concerns with the child or young person, their parents /carers and others involved in their care and education to try and find solutions to the problems that have been identified. Sometimes the educational psychologist will work directly with a child or young person as part of a package of support or intervention or to carry out some assessment.

Educational psychologists will also work alongside other professionals who are involved in supporting the child or young person. These might include other people from other teams within the SEND Service or health professionals, such as speech and language therapists.

It is expected that any intervention or support that is offered as a result of these consultations will be reviewed so that any changes that are needed can be identified and put in place.

Requests for support

If your child is pre-school, you should first speak to their early years setting (for example nursery or pre-school). The early years setting or other professionals working with you to support your child may request educational psychology involvement. The request will be considered at an early years panel (a meeting of representatives from across the SEND service).

If your child is in school you should first speak to their class teacher or special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) at school. The SENCO at school may then ask for educational psychology support.

If you are a young person and you think you need extra help you should speak to a teacher or the SENCO so support can be arranged through the school of you need it.

We also support young people with special educational needs and disabilities up to the age of 25 who are in education or training who live in Lancashire but who do not attend a Lancashire school. Please contact your local area office for more information.

No work will be carried out by an educational psychologist without parental consent and the agreement of the child or young person.


Parent / carer helpline

If you are a parent or carer and would like to speak to an educational psychologist call the helpline:

  • Tel: 01772 530 444
    Thursday 12.30pm-4.30pm (during term time)

Area offices

If you would like more information about the educational psychology service, please contact your area office.

Lancaster, Morecambe, Fylde and Wyre
Educational Psychology Service (North)
White Cross Centre
Quarry Road

Tel: 01524 581 200

Preston, South Ribble, Chorley and West Lancashire
Educational Psychology Service (South)
County Hall

Tel: 01772 531 597

Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale
Educational Psychology Service (East)
Chaddesley House,
Manchester Road,
Burnley, Lancashire,
BB11 1HW

Tel: 01282 470 604