If you have special educational needs or a disability, you could get money to help you with extra costs.


Benefits are payments from the government to help people who are sick or disabled or on a low income. You must be over 16, or in some cases over 18 to get benefits.

If you have problems with your benefits and need help you can ask the Welfare Rights Service for advice.


Grants are one-off payments that help people with a specific need like funding a course or buying equipment.

Personal budgets

Personal budgets are an amount of money to support you or your family to meet needs that are identified when you have an assessment. It is money which is paid instead of some of the services you would get.

You don't have to have a personal budget, but having one could give you more choice and control of the services you get.

There are three different types of personal budget:

  • A personal social care budget: for extra and individual support at home and when you go out.
  • A personal health budget: for young people with long-term conditions and disabilities who get NHS Continuing Care funding and to help with equipment costs or other health services.
  • A personal SEN budget: for young people up to the age of 25 who need more support to learn at school or college

For more information and advice

The local offer - information about personal SEN budgets and services that provide grants to young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families

National government - information about benefits and other help if you are disabled. 

16 to 19 Bursary Fund Help with education-related costs for those aged 16 to 19 and studying at school or college (not university) or on a training course

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) Help for higher education students that could help pay for things like specialist computer software or extra travel because of your disability.

TURN2US- use this online tool to check what benefits and grants you are entitled to.

The money advice service - guides to help you manage your money.

Jobcentre Plus - To start claiming benefits or ask about a benefit claim you have already made

Adult social care - information about assessments, paying for care and direct payments 

NHS choices - information about personal health budgets


If you would like help, get in touch with us for confidential information, advice and support.