Grants and funding

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your local council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home.


Visit the GOV.UK website using the links below for more information about help if you are studying:

  • 16 to 19 Bursary Fund Help with education-related costs for those aged 16 to 19 and studying at school or college (not university) or on a training course
  • Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) Help for higher education students that could help pay for things like specialist computer software or extra travel because of your disability.

Access to Work

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you:

  • start working
  • stay in work
  • move into self-employment or start a business

You can also apply for an Access to Work grant if you have a disability or health condition and are on or about to start the work experience placement of a supported internship, or traineeship. For more information and to apply in this case see the preparing for adulthood website.

Other services

Other services that can help are:

  • Birkdale Trust for Hearing Impaired Ltd The charity makes grants to young people up to their mid-twenties. This funding provides support in a variety of ways and to organisations linked to deaf young people.
  • Caudwell Children family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families.
  • Cerebra a charity set up to help improve the lives of children with brain related conditions.
  • Contact a national charity that supports the families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability.
  • Carers UK a charity set up to help people who care for family and friends in the UK. They can help get the best for the person you care for, make the most of your income, help you to stay in paid work, help you to stay healthy, put you in touch with other carers and provide a listening ear.
  • The Family Fund provides grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people. 
  • Disability Grants help finding disability grants including grants for holidays, equipment, housing, families and carers.
  • Shepherd Street Trust a Preston based charity that cares for the needs and aspirations of children and young people.
  • Newlife offers grants for essential medical equipment for children with disabilities and terminal illness.

Share this:
Rate this: