SEN support plans

SEN support is the help that your child will get at their pre-school, school or college if they have special educational needs (SEN).

Your child may need an education, health and care plan if they need more support.

Children under 5

SEN support for children under 5 includes:

  • a written progress check when your child is 2 years old
  • a child health visitor carrying out a health check for your child if they're aged 2 to 3
  • a written assessment in the summer term of your child’s first year of primary school
  • making reasonable adjustments for disabled children, for example providing aids like tactile signs

Nurseries, playgroups and childminders registered with Ofsted follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework. The framework makes sure that there is support in place for children with SEN.

Children between 5 and 15

Your child may get:

  • a special learning programme
  • extra help from a teacher or assistant
  • to work in a smaller group
  • observation in class or at break     
  • help taking part in class activities
  • extra encouragement in their learning, for example to ask questions or to try something they find difficult
  • help communicating with other children
  • support with physical or personal care difficulties, for example eating, getting around school safely or using the toilet

Young people aged 16 or over in further education

The college and the Young People's Service will talk to your child about the support they need.

SEN support plans

The SEN support plan is the plan that the early years setting, school or local college will use to ensure a child or young person's needs are met (where an EHC Plan is not required).

Lancashire County Council has developed a SEN Support Plan template (PDF 208KB) which pre-school, school or college establishments may use. They do not have to use this template so some establishments may choose to monitor their children/young people on SEN support using a different format.

Information from other organisations

The Special Needs Jungle have worked with the Department for Education to make a series of flow charts (external link) detailing the process for SEN Support, EHC Plans, annual reviews and what to do if your child is refused an assessment, a plan, or if you have a complaint.

Share this:
Rate this: