Request an EHC assessment
If a child or young person has had support from their pre-school, school or college, but needs more support than is available there, a request for an education, health and care (EHC) assessment can be made.
A request can be made by:
- The pre-school, school or college (such as a teacher)
- A doctor
- A health visitor
- A parent carer
- A young person
If you are a parent, you can make a referral using the following form and guidance:
- Parent EHC assessment request form (DOCX 182 KB)
- Parent EHC assessment request guidance (PDF 163 KB)
If you are a young person, you can make a referral using the following form and guidance:
- Young person EHC assessment request form (DOCX 183 KB)
- Young person's EHC assessment request guidance (PDF 93 KB)
If you are a professional, please choose the relevant form from the practitioner section.
There are several steps, including a formal assessment, before the council will decide if you need an EHC plan. Our EHC plan pathway sets out the steps to getting an EHC plan in more detail.
Whichever step you are at, there is support available including:
- Local service and provider information. Please contact your liaison officer
- Requesting an EHC assessment. Contact the SEND Service area teams.
- Impartial and confidential information and advice. Contact the Information Advice and Support (IAS) Team.
- Updates, newsletter and local forums. If you're a parent and want to have your voice heard or keep up to date with information, find out how we update, involve and support parents in shaping services and resolving issues.
Information from other organisations
The Special Needs Jungle have worked with the Department for Education to make a series of flow charts (external link) detailing the process for SEN Support, EHC Plans and what to do if your child is refused an assessment, a plan, or if you have a complaint.