Travel to school, further education or training

Support from the county council
The council provides travel support for eligible children and young people with a statement of special educational needs or an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Children and young people that do not have a statement or EHC plan may still qualify for some transport assistance:

Free travel to and from school
Children aged 5-16 may qualify for free transport to school depending on how far the walk is. Some children will qualify if the family is on a low income.

School bus season tickets
For use on Lancashire County Council school bus services, including school sixth forms.

Independent travel training
The SEND service may refer young people with disabilities for travel training to help them travel independently to and from school, college and other social activities.

The 16-19 Bursary Fund (external link)
Money that you could get to help with education-related costs like transport. To get it you apply direct to your school, college or training provider.

Further education colleges
You may be able to get a travel pass from your further education college. Contact the college for more information. See the Post 16 Transport Policy Statement for more information.

A number of colleges provide mobility or independence training and support for learners who face difficulty with transport. Please contact the college or school directly.

Post 16 Transport Policy Statement
The Transport Policy Statement describes the transport support available to young people aged 16-19 years old, and young person's up to 25 years old who have a learning difficulty and /or a disability, who are entering or continuing in further education and learning, including apprenticeships and traineeships.

Other support and advice

Help with transport if you are disabled
If you or your child are disabled you may be eligible for financial help, concessionary parking and travel passes.

Find bus stops and times
Timetables and journey planning advice.