Lancashire County Council Logo
My location

Your location enables us to provide information about services in your area.

Fixed period exclusions

The headteacher can exclude a pupil for a fixed period (up to a maximum of 45 school days in a school year). This can be a series of short exclusions or a single 45 day exclusion. Headteachers decide about the length of each exclusion.

Pupils can sometimes be excluded at lunchtimes only.  They each count as half a day of exclusion. Parents will be expected to collect and supervise the pupil. Usually lunchtime exclusions should not be for more than five school days. Pupils who are entitled to receive free school meals should still receive this entitlement.

You should have received a letter from your child's headteacher telling you the reasons for the exclusion, the length of the exclusion (in school days) and the date and time when your child must return to school.

If your child has been excluded from school for more than one day, the school will provide work for you to collect and return for marking. Details of these arrangements will be in the letter from the school.

Challenging fixed period exclusion

If your child has been excluded for five days or less, you can ask the Governors' Discipline Committee to hear your views. There does not have to be a meeting and the headteacher’s decision cannot be overturned, but the governors' views will be placed on the pupil’s record.

For exclusions of more than five and up to 15 school days in a term you can ask for a meeting of the Governors' Discipline Committee. You are entitled to attend this meeting, the school will write to you with details and the arrangements for this meeting.

For exclusions of over 15 school days in a term there must be a meeting.

For all fixed period exclusions of over five school days in a term the governors can overturn the headteacher’s decision and can reinstate the pupil. This may not be possible where the meeting is held after the exclusion has ended but a note of any decision will be placed on the pupil’s record.

Details of your child's exclusion will be entered on their school records. You have a right to see your child's school record. If you would like to do so, you will need to contact the school.

Education during a fixed period exclusion

For short exclusions it may not always be possible for work to be provided, for example a single, one day exclusion.

Generally, however, work will be provided to be completed at home for the first five school days. You will usually need to collect this from the school and deliver it back for marking.

From day six of any fixed period exclusion, full-time alternative education will be provided. For children in care (looked after children) provision should be from day one. The school or academy should contact you to confirm what arrangements have been made.

Some will provide full time education from day one, if this is the case the school will let you know.

If there are transport issues you should contact the area education office for information.

If you send your child to the school when they have been excluded they will be supervised but not educated. The school will make efforts to contact you to collect your child. If this is not possible the matter may be referred to a social worker and treated as a supervision issue. It is possible that in these circumstances the headteacher will increase the exclusion in view of the non-compliance.

Return to school

The school may request that you attend a meeting about your child’s return to school. This is not a disciplinary measure; it is to discuss ways of successfully managing the return to school. This is important in order to avoid the need for further exclusions.

It is recommended that you attend the meetings if invited to do so. If your child is at primary school you must attend a meeting if invited.

Pupils with particular needs or disabilities

Pupils with disabilities can be excluded but there must not have been discrimination. If you consider that your child has a disability you can raise any issues in your representations to the governors (Pupil Discipline Committee).

If the pupil has a statement of special educational needs or an education, health and care (EHC) plan you can contact the Area Special Educational Needs and Assessment Team or the Information Advice and Support (IAS) Team.

If the child is in public care (a looked after child) you must discuss matters with your social worker, who may wish to attend any relevant meetings. Looked after children should only be excluded as an absolute last resort.