Free school meals
How to claim:
Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
Pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 all qualify for a free school meal (Universal Infant Free School Meal) worth up to £418 per year, per child; you do not need to apply for this, simply contact your child's primary school.
Year 3 and above
For school pupils in Year 3 and above they could qualify for a free school meal if you receive:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
To apply, you should contact your Area Education Office. You will be required to provide your:
- Date of birth
- National Insurance Number
If you get any of the qualifying benefits, your child’s school can get extra funding called pupil premium if you register with Lancashire County Council.
More information can be found on Lancashire County Council's free school meals page.