Documents required when giving notice


Evidence of your Identity and Nationality

When you attend your appointment at the register office, you need to take proof of your name, age and nationality. For example your:

*If you don’t have a valid passport and you were born after 31 December 1982 please bring your full birth certificate which shows your parents’ names with either:

  • Your mother’s birth certificate or
  • If your mother's certificate is not available and your natural parents are/were married to each other, their marriage certificate and your father’s birth certificate.
  • If a parent’s birth certificate is not available, a valid parent's passport will be accepted but it must be in the name that appears on your full birth certificate. Please note if it is your father's passport we will also require your parent's marriage certificate.

If you are adopted, your adoption certificate should be produced together with the birth certificate of either your adopted mother or father.

Proof of Address

The registrar also needs proof of your individual address, for example one item from the following list for each person attending:

  • Gas, water or electricity bill no more than three months before the date of your notice appointment
  • Bank or building society statement or passbook no more than one month before the date of your notice appointment.  Please note credit card statements are not acceptable.
  • Council tax bill or mortgage statement from the last 12 months before the date of your notice appointment
  • Current residential tenancy agreement
    Valid UK driving licence which shows your current address (Full or provisional issued by the UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands)
  • Letter from the owner or landlord confirming you live there at the time notice is given. The letter should include:
  • Period of time at the address to include date of arrival
  • Name and address of the householder and their signature dated no more than one month of your notice appointment
  • Landlord’s name, address and their signature dated no more than one month of the notice appointment. Copy of householder’s utility bill dated no more than three months before the notice appointment.

If you’ve been divorced or widowed

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to take either:

Please bring the original court stamped decree absolute (original only, photocopies are not acceptable) with you when you come to your notice appointment. If applicable please bring full translation. If your divorce was not granted in a UK court, additional fees of up to £75 for each divorce will be payable on the day of your appointment.

If your dissolution was not granted in a UK court and the documents are not written in English, we will need a full translation of your documents, including any stamps. Depending on the country where your dissolution took place, the Registrars may also need to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm if your proposed Marriage or Civil Partnership can go ahead . Please note that this could delay the issue of your Marriage Authorities or Civil Partnership Schedule and may affect how soon you can get married/form a Civil Partnership. Please contact us for advice if needed on 0300 123 6705.

If you are not recorded on the Death Certificate as the Spouse/Civil Partner of the deceased person you will need to provide your Marriage or Civil Partnership certificate.

A foreign divorce will usually be recognised in England and Wales if it was valid in the country where it took place. Please provide full translation and any stamps if it is not written in English.

The registrar will check your overseas divorce documents and may have to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm whether your marriage or civil partnership can go ahead. This could delay the issue of your Marriage authorities or Civil Partnership schedule and may affect how soon you can have your ceremony. Please contact us for advice on 0300 123 6705.

If you’ve had a legal name change

  • All documentation related to your name change

If you have lost your name change documentation, reverted back to a previous name or have inherited a name by common usage, please contact us on 0300 123 6705 for further advice about what documentation to bring with you. If the registrar is unable to link your documentation they will be unable to proceed with your appointment.

This is not an exhaustive list. if you are in any doubt about what to bring please ring for advice as we cannot take a notice of marriage without the correct documents and we do not want you to have a wasted journey.

From Wednesday 10 December 2014 couples who registered their civil partnership in England and Wales will be able to convert their civil partnership to a marriage. This includes all civil partnerships registered according to the law of England and Wales only.