Birth relatives

Birth relatives are entitled to an assessment for specific services which may include:

  • General advice and information around adoption. 
  • Supporting you, as a Lancashire birth parent, during care proceedings when your child has a plan of adoption. We can help you understand the adoption process including post adoption contact arrangements and what it means for you. We can support you in providing information for your child. We can help you work through your feelings about this and, if appropriate, signpost you to other services.
  • Providing support and advice with post adoption contact arrangements including help in writing letters through our Mailbox Service
  • Signposting to agencies who can assist birth relatives wishing to make contact with an adopted child who is aged over eighteen. This is called an intermediary service. Lancashire County Council do not currently offer this service
  • Information about the adoption contact register. This puts adopted adults and their birth relatives, if registered, in touch with one another and is administered by the General Register Office.

If you want advice or wish to request some support you can contact the post adoption support team:

Burnley and Pendle: 01282 478418
Hyndburn, Rossendale & Ribble Valley: 01254 320759
Chorley and West Lancashire: 01772 530919
Lancaster, Fylde and North Wyre: 01524 585 939
Central Lancashire: 01772 535066

Useful Websites:

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external websites.

Family Rights group

This is a charity in England and Wales that advises families whose children are involved with or need children’s services because of welfare needs or concerns.  They promote policies and practices, including family group conferences, that help children to be raised safely and securely within their families.

Information, Advice and Support Services Network (IASS Network)

IASS Network offer advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities.