Adopted adults

If you live in Lancashire and want to access your birth records, we can offer:

  • Support from an experienced adoption worker who will help you locate your birth records and share these with you. You will need to be 18 to do this. We will also support you in understanding why you were adopted and discuss your feelings about this.
  • Information about the adoption contact register. This puts adopted adults and their birth relatives, if registered, in touch with one another and is administered by the General Register Office.
  • Signposting to agencies who can help you trace birth relatives.
  • An intermediary service for adopted adults who are living in Lancashire. This means if you locate a birth relative we will make the initial contact on your behalf and support you through the process of reunion.

If you want advice about accessing your birth records or an intermediary service you can contact the post adoption support team:

Burnley and Pendle: 01282 478418
Hyndburn, Rossendale & Ribble Valley: 01254 320759
Chorley and West Lancashire: 01772 530919
Lancaster, Fylde and North Wyre: 01524 585 939
Central Lancashire: 01772 535066

Unless urgent we will only accept referrals for access to birth records in writing. Please write to:

Lancashire's Post Adoption Support Team
Room B42
County Hall
Preston PR1 0LD

Useful Websites

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external websites.

General Register Office: For adult adoptees who do not have a copy of their original birth certificate you can contact the GRO and request this. We also recommend that if you do not know the name of the court where the adoption order was made or the name of the agency involved in your adoption then you should contact the GRO who should hold the court details prior to contacting the local authority.

Adoption, Search, Reunion website: This website provides information and advice for adult adoptees searching for their birth records and wishing for contact with birth relatives.