Single-use plastics, or disposable plastics, are used only once before they are thrown away or recycled. These are items like plastic bags, straws, coffee cups and stirrers, water bottles and most food packaging.
Plastic is everywhere in modern life, so it is very difficult to avoid altogether. However, most single-use plastic items are completely unnecessary and have only been introduced into our lifestyles relatively recently for convenience.
Top tips for reducing plastic waste
There are some very simple changes of habit you can adopt today to reduce the amount of plastic waste your lifestyle creates:
- Always keep a reusable shopping bag with you
- Carry a reusable water bottle - Refill = Less landfill
- Buy a reusable coffee cup
- Pack your lunch in a reusable container – don’t use sandwich bags or cling film
- Say no to plastic straws and cutlery
- If it’s plastic and its black, put it back
- Slow down and dine in – reduce the amount of single use take-out containers you buy
- Skip the plastic produce bags – put your fruit and veg straight into your reusable bags
- Wipe out wipes