Lytham library was built originally as a Mechanics Institute. It included a small library of books and a reading room. It opened in September 1878. The building was extended in 1898 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, including a new reading room, gymnasium and classrooms. The extension was opened by the Duke of Norfolk. In the early 1900s the library became part of the Municipal Borough of Lytham St Annes and in 1974 the adminstration of the library was taken over by Lancashire County Council.