Would you like help?
Families' income, wellbeing, housing and relationships are all important influences on a baby’s health, both before and after birth. We work together with partner organisations to improve living conditions for families and the health of our children:
- We have developed the Starting Well programme which includes initiatives to support mothers to give up smoking and breastfeed.
- We are working with health professionals to run the Six Week Breastfeeding Challenge campaign to help support mums through the early days of breastfeeding
- We are running Safer Sleep for Baby to ensure that Lancashire’s babies sleep safely. This will reduce the risk of sudden infant death.
- Our NHS partners offer:
- The rate of infant mortality in Lancashire is 4.9 deaths per 1000 live births. Very similar to England as a whole. There has been an increase in some districts.
- The percentage of full-term babies born with a low birth weight is 2.75% of live births. Similar to the England average.
- 68.1% of all Lancashire mums breastfeed their babies within 48 hours of birth. This is a little way behind the 74% average across England.