The Bridges division carry out numerous services including:
- Receiving and managing notification from hauliers in respect of abnormal loads.
- Carrying out bridge inspections, assessment, maintnenance and strengthening schemes.
- Carrying out bridge construction schemes.
- Providing a public right of way service, this includes maintaining and renewing rural footpaths.
- Making calculations to ascertain whether bridges they can take a load of 40 tons.
- Ensuring that each reservoir in Lancashire has a supervisor engineer appointed to who offers regular inspections and maintenance.
- Co-ordinaing improvement schemes for bridge heights and imposing weight restrictions on weak bridges and signing for low bridges.
- Ensuing that highway structures will be safe on private developments by offering advice on the design and construction standards of new and existing highway structures on private developments.
- Managing (under the NRSW Act) proposals by statutory undertakers to lay their apparatus (ducts, pipes, etc) on a highway.
- Managing applications by individuals or organisations wanting to erect structures over a highway, such as promotional archways, tower cranes, canopies, or holes in footway.