Independent Support

Independent support offers extra help for children and young people, parents and carers while they are going through an EHC assessment or the process of developing an EHC plan.

If you need help, an independent supporter can:

  • help you to understand the local referral process and local offer
  • act as a named contact person throughout the EHC assessment and planning process
  • focus on the main task of helping you to transfer a statement of SEN or learning difficulty assessment (LDA) to an EHC plan (transfer reviews)
  • help you to put together the one page profile for your child or young person
  • work with you if you are new to EHC referrals or if you have had a LDA under the old system
  • liaise across a range of local services and help you to gather the information required for an EHC plan
  • provide you with information to help you understand personal budgets
  • signpost you to Information Advice and Support Services (IASS) when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter

In Lancashire independent support is provided by Barnardo's. Any professional working with you on an education, health and care plan, or from the Information Advice and Support Service may refer you to the service if they think you need independent support. If you contact the service direct, you must agree that Independent Support can work with relevant professionals to support you.

You can contact the service by email at: or by phone: 01772 629470. Or see  Barnardo’s Independent Support on Facebook for updates.

The memorandum of understanding sets out the services provided and the process to access independent support.

Share this:
Rate this: