Moving from statements to EHC plans

From September 2014 education, health and care (EHC) plans started to replace statements of special educational needs (SEN) taking children and young people up to the age of 25.

We will transfer all children and young people with statements of SEN to EHC plans. We expect to complete the conversions by April 2018.

If your child currently has a statement of special educational needs Lancashire County Council SEND Service will contact you when this is to be converted to an EHC plan. Current support arrangements will continue while we are making these changes so there won't be any break in the services and support.

The EHC plan will provide the same statutory protection as the statement of SEN. The aim is to join up support and services from a range of organisations and make it easier for children, young people and their parents to get the support they need. Another change to the process is that young people and parents of pupils with an EHC plan can choose to hold a personal budget to buy in the support identified.

Update January 2018

When we published the SEND reforms transition strategy (PDF 156KB) in November 2014 there were approximately 5,500 statements of SEN and 400 young people supported in colleges through learning difficulty assessments (LDAs).

The strategy for transferring the remaining statements to EHC plans is that we will complete the numbers below before 31 March 2018:

  • January 2018 - 235
  • February 2018 - 268
  • March 2018 -230

At the end of March 2018 all transfers to EHC plans will have been completed.

More information

For further information or if you have any questions contact your SEND Service area team

This is part of national Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) reforms; changes to the law for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The new law will result in changes to the way you and your child receive support from your local council, health and social care services and your child’s nursery, school or college.

The guide for parents and carers (external link) explains the changes to the SEND support system. It should be used alongside the new special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years (external link).

Share this:
Rate this: